[gtk-list] Re: Commit messages.

Owen Taylor writes:
> For GTK+, the ChangeLog is considered primary, and the commit
> messages secondary. We spend quite a bit of effort to make
> sure we have good ChangeLogs, if we get less then perfect
> commit messages, then, well, that's the breaks.

I am currently using pcl-cvs in xemacs to do my commits to cvs.

This enables you to write up your ChangeLog with brief entries for
each file that you have changed (it lists the changed files for you
using cvs update) and then commit the ChangeLog along with all the
changes to all the files using the lines from the ChangeLog as the
commit messages for the individual files.

It takes a bit of care to get it to work reliably (since it tries to
be clever about dates and user names) but it leaves you with good
entries in the ChangeLog and the commit messages without any
duplication of effort.

I have not been using pcl-cvs for long so it may have disadvantages
which I have yet to hit my head against. (o:

Felix