calling functions with widgets

I am currently developing a program that controls a robot arm. I am now
making this program graphical using GTK+. I am having trouble getting
the widgets to call my functions that send commands to the robot. For
instance, I have a button that I want to call the issueCommand()
function and pass it the arguments (int fd, char command, int init[]). I

am trying to call this function like this.

  /*setup the initialize button */
  button = gtk_button_new_with_label ("Re-Initialize");
  gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (control_vbox), button);
  gtk_widget_show (button);
  gtk_signal_connect (GTK_OBJECT (button), "clicked",
        GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC (issueCommand),
        fdescripter, 'i', init);

This is not working for me. Could someone tell me how to call my
function and pass the arguments to the function? I am stuck here and
can't prgress with this program's developement until I figure this out.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent Briggs