Re: [gtk-list] Re: fork & gtk-perk = nono

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Paolo Molaro wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 06, 1998 at 05:27:09PM -0400, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:
> > > I'm forwarding this to the list for Marc Lehmann. He's noted that forking
> > > from within Gtk/Perl does not work very well. I'm not enough of an expert
> > > in X to know for sure whether this is a fundamental X glitch, a Gtk
> > > limitation, or just a bug.
> >
> > There is the same problem in C as it is X related (open file handles sharing).
>
> Thanks for the explanation, though I'll see if I can't come up with some
> more elegant approach to using fork.

Having discussed this a bit more with Marc, it appears that the
XSetCloseDownMode() is the crucial call here. It can be used in each
non-GUI forked process to stop that process from tearing down the X
resources when it exits.

It would be useful if this call were exported from Gtk (as
gtk_cleanup_on_exit, or somesuch.)