Example compile prob. Irix 6.3

Hello,

I've gotten gtk to compile and install under Irix 6.3 but am unable to
compile stuff in the examples directory.  Take gtkdial.  I get the
following errors:

hendrix:/usr/local/src/gtk+-1.0.4/examples/gtkdial# make
        gcc `gtk-config --libs` dial_test.o gtkdial.o -o dial_test
ld32: WARNING 84: /usr/local/lib/libgtk.so is not used for resolving any
symbol.
ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "gtk_label_get_type" -- 1st
referenced by dial_test.o.
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
dsos are loaded.

and so on with many other symbols.  But gtk-config is located in
/usr/freeware/bin which sure enough is in my path.

So what gives?

Thanks,

Dave Topper
--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
Programmer / Analyst, Dean's Office (School of A&S)