Re: [gtk-list] RE: Minimizing/iconizing and maximizing/restoringwindow

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Damon Chaplin wrote:

[...]
> These do need to be added to GDK, by the way.
> (As well as a way of getting a window's real position, including WM
> decorations - do you just need to walk up the X window tree with
> XQueryTree until you find the root window?)

i've recently added a function for this to the development tree:
Sat Sep 25 23:33:55 1998  Tim Janik  <timj@gtk.org>

        * gdk/gdkwindow.c (gdk_window_get_root_origin): new function to get
        the *real* geometry position of a window, taken possible window
        manager offsets into account.
        this has been succesfully tested with fvwm, fvwm-2, bowman, olwm,
        olvwm, twm, ctwm, mlvwm, windowmaker and enlightenment.
        it does fail though for amiwm which adds windows to a pseudo root
        window, and for icewm by a small offset because it defines the
        geometry position whithin its border.

        * gtk/testgtk.c: added "saved position" test to figure how
        gdk_window_get_root_origin() interacts with window managers (repopup
        this window to figure ;).

i currently consider the extra offset with icewm an icewm bug, because
all other window managers define the geometry position at the top- and
left-most pixel of their decoration border, and other applications show
the same behaviour with icewm.
i'm not sure though what to do about amiwm, eventually we can figure if
amiwm is currently running and special case the algorithm somehow, this
needs further investigation.

> I think it's also about time GTK's TODO file was updated!
> (Delete it and start again!)

suprisingly enough, most of the items from Gtk+'s development TODO
file still hold, though some of the bugs mentioned there will probably
be fixed with the upcoming DnD changes and/or a themes merge.

> Damon

---
ciaoTJ