Re: [gtk-list] Re: adding date/time calculations to glib

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Daniel Solaz wrote:
> Please remember other languages do have libraries providing date and
> time functions. Don't force others to get bigger libs with redundant
> functionality.

Other languages also have libraries providing linked lists, hashing, and
everything else in glib. It is inherently redundant with all non-C
languages. Date functions would not be redundant with any common C
library though.

As far as I know glib is supposed to be a general purpose library which
fills in some gaps in the C language. If you don't use functionality X,
Unix will leave it on disk. It doesn't bother you.  (Not that date
functionality would be big - 10K? 20K?) And this stuff is in Gtk anyway,
look at the top of gtkcalendar.c. It's just being cleaned up and moved.

It would be convenient for programmers and for people who avoid
downloading and compiling yet another library. Assuming it's good,
general-purpose functionality, I see no reason to give that up just to
save a few K on a 1 gig disk.

Havoc