Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk shared library conflicts (libgtk.so)

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> (Does rpm really let you do this? Are you sure you didn't force
> something?)

I think I did with one or two of the applications.  But I don't remember
forcing any of the libraries.

> You want to uninstall one of the Gtk 1.1 versions, and make sure your only
> -devel Gtk is 1.1. Basically you want one Gtk 1.0, one Gtk1.1, one
> Gtk1.1-devel. If you install 1.1, you can't use any of the CVS or snapshot
> stuff. If you compile CVS/snapshot stuff you need to have *everything*
> from CVS, though you should be able to keep 1.0 around.

OK, but there is a new RPM recently introduced:  gtk+10-1.0.6

Is that something that provides coexistance between 1.1 and 1.0?
If so, does that mean that I should remove all of my 1.0.5?

In other words, I should

  Remove:  gtk+-1.1.1-1 & gtk+-1.0.5-2
  Verify:  gtk+10-1.0.6-1, gtk+-1.1.2-1, & gtk+-devel-1.1.2-1

Is that correct?

> Keep in mind that 1.1 and Gnome are in-development alpha software, thus
> there is no guarantee they will work with your system. They may break
> everything; they are not especially well-tested. So if it works, consider
> yourself lucky. (They do work most of the time, but no guarantees.)

I'm aware of all of that.  But it looks like there's some really great
new packages there.  I've been impressed with what I've seen so far.
And yes, I have found things that don't work quite right, and/or that
issue error messages.  Hmmm...  Maybe I should have reported them.

/  Ray
Ray Marshall <raym@vnet.net>        | Unconditional Forgiveness & Love --
Chapel Hill NC or Sutton Mills NH   |   The corner stones of coexistence.
Work: raym@nortel.ca