RH 5.2 woes: Gtk-- 10.0.x

Hi,

I just upgraded my machine to RH 5.2 (from RH 5.1, gtk-- 0.9.20). Since
then unfortunateley, I
haven't been able to get any version ot GTK-- to compile. I relpaced the
default installed
compilers (gcc 2.7.x, egcs 1.0) with both the C and C++ verison of egcs
1.1b. The compilers
seem to work OK but the GTK-- compiles keeps breaking. So in despair I
downloaded the
latest gtk--, 0.10.1. Unfortunateley this one doesn't even get through
configure (see log below).

Is this my machine/installation or some error in the configure scripts? If
anybody
has already fought with RH 5.2, I would appreciate some pointers/tips ...

Thanks
--> Robert

---------------------- configure log -----------------------------

checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for c++... c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes
checking whether c++ accepts -g... yes
checking for gm4... no
checking for m4... m4
checking for basename in -lgen... no
checking for gtk-config... /usr/local/bin/gtk-config
checking If you have gtk+ installed... yes
checking if GTK - version 1.1.x is used... yes
checking if used GTK seems new enough... yes
checking for gnome-config... /usr/bin/gnome-config
checking if /usr/bin/gnome-config works... yes
checking for orbit-config... /usr/bin/orbit-config
checking for orbit-idl... /usr/bin/orbit-idl
checking for working ORBit environment... yes
checking for gnorba libraries... yes
checking if used GNOME seems new enough... yes
checking what warning flags to pass to the C++ compiler... -Wall
-Wno-unused
checking what language compliance flags to pass to the C compiler...  -ansi
 -pedantic
checking if html documentation and manual pages are generated... yes
checking if basename works as expected... yes
checking if C++ compiler supports partial specialization... yes
checking if C++ compiler supports member templates... yes
checking if C++ compiler supports const cast (required)... yes
checking if C++ compiler supports mutable... yes
checking if C++ compiler supports bool (required)... yes
checking if C++ compiler support qualification of return types with
templates... yes
checking if C++ compiler supports static data inside templates... yes
checking if C++ compiler supports templates well enough (required)... ok
checking if string class works(required)... yes
checking if auto_ptr<> works... no
checking if STL's list<> works... yes
checking if all required compiler features are available... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... -static
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking dynamic linker characteristics... Linux ld.so
checking for objdir... .libs
creating libtool
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating gtkmm-config
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating gnome--/gnomemmConf.sh
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating src/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating src/gensig/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating src/build_sources/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating src/gtk--/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating gtk--draw/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating gtk--draw/src/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating gtk--draw/examples/Makefile
sed: can't read ./gtk--draw/examples/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating gnome--/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating gnome--/build_sources/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating gnome--/gnome--/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating examples/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating examples/tutorial/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating docgen/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating docs/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating html/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 71: Unterminated `s' command
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged
creating src/gtk--config.h
src/gtk--config.h is unchanged