Question after Installation

I've installed GTK+ v1.0.6 and after installation I get the following
error when trying to run GTK programs which I have compiled from the
examples tutorial:

helloworld: error in loading shared libraries
basedirectory/gtk+/lib/libgtk.so.1: undefined symbol: g_strdelimit

I have this directory added to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH and have following the
INSTALL instructions.  These examples worked before I installed the 1.0.6
GTK+ and I had to uninstall 1.0.1 that were rpm'd, like the directions
stated.

  Nathan A. DeBardeleben      Parallel Architecture Research Laboratory
      Clemson University      ndebard@parl.ces.clemson.edu
    Computer Engineering      http://www.parl.ces.clemson.edu/~ndebard
                "Free in the sense of free speech,
                   not free beer."