library numbers

Hi,

How should the gtk dynamic libraries be numbered? I just downloaded and
compiled gtk+-1.1.5, and the numbers look odd. What I got was:
libgdk.so@
libgdk-1.1.so.5@
libgdk-1.1.so.5.0.0
libgtk.so@
libgtk-1.1.so.5@
libgtk-1.1.so.5.0.0
by a standard compilation (./configure; make; make install).
Are these really correct?  Is the major number really 5? Or, should the
libraries be numbered 1.1.5?

The machine is a Red Hat Linux 5.0 system running kernel 2.0.34.  I
had to force removal of the gtk rpm from red hat 5.0 to install
gtk+-1.1.5, and I'm wondering whether applications that expect
libgtk.so.1 from the redhat distribution will work with 1.1.5.

Thanks,

Dick