BIG plots in gnome-canvas

I am thinking about porting my old Windows program to Gtk(Gtk--) It
generates huge plots which easily can have 1000k points. As I was
using CView from MFC,which I think is more like a drawing area, my
program was responsible for generating screen plots for a given
resolution in pixel coordinates.

Would it be wise to dump that code, draw whole plot on
gnome-canvas(are they going to become gtkcanvas any time soon?) and
let them handle zooming?

 Sergey

PS. Is it a right mailing list to ask questions about gnome-canvas?
Should I ask this question on GNOME list instead?