Re: [gtk-list] Re: problems compiling gtk

brent verner wrote:

> Johan Groth wrote:
>

> > Use the script autogen.sh. It takes care of running autoconf, automake
> > and configure correctly.
> >

> using autogen.sh or doingit by hand -- configure falls out with
> ./configure: line 566: syntax error near unexpected token
> `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
> ./configure: line 566: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION, no-define)
>
> ...and no Makefile is made.
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> brent
>
> --

I had this problem with gtk+ out of cvs. I copied the aclocal.m4
out of the 1.1.2 release and ran the rest of the autogen.sh
script by hand. I also saw the following on gtk-app-devel but
have not tried it.

good luck,
Todd

> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to the mailing list, I hope my problems haven't already been
> addressed. I'm trying to use Gtk---0.10.0 which, according to the
> Gtk-- home page requires gtk+ out of CVS. I fetched the latest gtk+
> from CVS, but I get compile troubles after doing ./autoget.sh:
>
> [eric@brownie gtk+]$ ./autogen.sh
> I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
> to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
> aclocal: configure.in: 178: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
> configure.in:150: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
> configure.in:403: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
> ./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
> ./configure: ./configure: line 581: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,
$VERSION, no-define)'

  To correct the AM_PATH_GLIB error, you have to put glib.m4 in a place
automake looks, which is either /usr/share/aclocal or
/usr/local/share/aclocal. On my system I couldn't get automake to look
in
/usr/local/share/aclocal where it's installed by default, so I copied it
to /usr/share/aclocal. Not the greatest fix but it works. I had to do
this
for gtk.m4 also.
  I get the AC_TRY_RUN warnings also, but everything still works.
  I've had that last error before, but I can't remember how I fixed it.

Eric Nielson.

Todd & Lisa Dukes
tjdukes@flash.net