Re: [gtk-list] keeping multiple versions of gtk+

On Fri, Nov 13, 1998 at 07:55:42AM -0500, Dave Reed wrote:

> I would like to start experiment with gnome so I'm going to download
> a 1.1.x of gtk and glib.  What is the best/recommended way to install
> both a 1.1 version and 1.0 version so I don't break my existing 1.0
> programs.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
> dreed@capital.edu

Well, in the FreeBSD ports collection, the port for gtk-1.0.x installs a set of
libraries named like the default. However, the port for gtk-1.1.x installs a slightly
modified set of libraries and tools, named libgtk11.so(and the rest of the
shlibs are renamed in that fashion), gtk11-config, and places the gtk-1.1.x include files
in /usr/X11R6/include/gtk11/gtk. Ofcourse, gtk11-config is modified to fit this, so any
port which wants to use gtk-1.1.x is set to find gtk11-config, and then both gtk-1.0.x
and gtk-1.1.x can coexist with no special problems. Maybe the gtk team should consider
modifying the Development version of GTK+, or perhaps the upcoming gtk-1.2, to behave
like this?

I think this would solve a whole bunch of problems for people.

Gilad.