Re: wrong position of underline

Owen Taylor <otaylor@redhat.com> writes:

> However, this isn't very relevant, because the real problem here is
> that the code needs to iterate character-by-character through the
> string to determine the underlined characters, and the code isn't
> multi-byte aware.
>
> I believe that you should be able to get the underlines to display
> properly by underlining breaking the character you want to underline
> in two and prepending a '_' to _both_ bytes. But that really isn't the
> right solution...

I didn't use any Korean but I got the same problem.  I deleted Korean
messages and ran gnumeric.  The underline in "Save _as" is placed
below `e'.

> This problem makes me wonder how underline accelerators work
> in non-roman languages. For Korean entered on a Roman keyboard,
> it seems relatively straightforward - I would image that
> if the menu item was 'haemul' and 'hae' was underlined, than
> the keyboard accelerator would be 'h'.

Generally (at least in Korean edition of M$-Windows), we don't
underline Korean character.  People couldn't think that `h' is the
accelerator when they see underlined `hae'.

"haemul (_H)" has been generally used for Korean softwares.  Yes...
As you think, it is not descriptive at all, but people can learn it
with some hard.

> But for Japanese and Chinese the problem is much trickier - for
> Japanese especially, going from Kanji to keyboard key does not
> seem feasible. For these languages and probably also Korean,
> perhaps one would want to extend the syntax of the underline
> accelerators for menus so that: (using the Korean example)
>
>   &h_(hae)(mul)
>
> would mean use 'h' as the accelerator, but don't display it, and
> underline 'hae'. This still presents some problems when
> dealing with non-roman keyboads. (How do you map from
> the EUC encoding of the Japanese kana 'sa' to GDK_kana_SA?
> Presumably you need a table.) But do Japanese and Chinese
> language programs typically use underline accelerators
> at all?

There are also Korean keysymbols (XK_Hangul_*).  But I have never seen
a program or a user that uses these keysymbols.  I believe other
languages don't use such keysymbols either.