Re: [gtk-list] Re: To GTK, or not to GTK - that is the question

On 9 Nov 1998, Dave Cole wrote:

> Chris> It seems like there is a lot to lose to me. Don't take this as
> Chris> a flame. It may be worth it. Maybe I will find out why as I
> Chris> start to use GTK. But it just looks to me at the moment like
> Chris> gratuitously breaking standards. It's not clear to me right now
> Chris> what exactly could possibly have been gained that couldn't have
> Chris> been done by extending what was standard out there
> Chris> already. There's just so many X11 widget sets out there, it's
> Chris> crazy.
>
> Having lots of widget sets is good - it promotes competition.  In the
> short term you have a mixture of sets present on your desktop as the
> applications you want to run are written using different sets.  As
> time passes, one of the good widget sets reaches critical mindshare
> mass and emerges as the defacto standard.  This is called innovation.

It is also called forking and duplication of effort.

It took years and years for a widget set to become the de facto standard
for commercial software. With the supply of ego and talent in free
software, I would be very surprised to *ever* see a de facto standard.
Eric Raymond's Homesteading the Noosphere has some good explanations for
this.

Anyone for making an Xt port of Gtk? ;-)

Ulric