Cursors with gtk/gdk

Hi folks,

I was experimenting with cursors and came across a problem creating my
own cursor using gdk_cursor_new_from_pixmap with gtk 1.0.4

Here's the pseudo code:

I have pixmap data defined:

static char *xpm_data [] = {
"16 16 2 1",
"  c None",
"X c #FFFF0",
" XXX           ",
..... all the pixmap data here....

Then after I display a window, I run the code:

pixmap = gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm_d (window->window, &mask, NULL,
xpm_data);
cursor = gdk_cursor_new_from_pixmap (pixmap, mask, &yellow, &black, 1,
1);

gtk_main ();

--- You'll notice that I haven't assigned the cursor to a window yet -
and it still crashes.  The error is:

** ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

1 - how do I track down such an error?
2 - does someone have sample code of creating a cursor from pixmap
data that works so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong?

 -Eric