Re: gtk+10 vs. gtk+: what's the difference

Darrin Tisdale/Cambridge/IBM <dtisdale@omotech.com> writes:

> I have been recently getting used to Linux (a job in itself) and I found
> that some of the tools (like gtk+-1.1.2) want gtk+10.  I have gtk+-1.0.0-1
> installed, but it still complains about gtk+10.  When I found a makefile
> from a CVS system on line, the make file tells me that there is a conflict
> with gtk+-1.0.0.  Further investigation revealed two other interesting
> things:
>
> 1) they don't like each other
> 2) some items want gtk+10, some want gtk+
>
> So, what can I do?
>
> 1) where can I get gtk+10?  every place I look I only find the make file.
> 2) what is the difference and can they exist peacefully on my Linux box?
> 3) why are there differences?

gtk+10 is the name we gave to the compatibility RPM's for
the stable 1.0 branch of GTK+. These need to be installed along with
the RPM's of the development 1.1.x branch of GTK+.

They are available from the place you got the 1.1.x RPM's -
namely:

  ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/redhat/latest

Hope this clears things up a little,
                                        Owen