Re: clipboard

Robert Roebling <roebling@sun2.ruf.uni-freiburg.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> are there any plans to implement a clipboard in
> GTK? I know that there are selections and I know
> what they do, but this doesn't do what a normal
> clipboard does. If I haven't misunderstood the
> selection system, then the selection is lost as
> soon as you highlight some text in an entry field
> somewhere, which seems to be too dangerous for
> a normal application. I'd like to mark something,
> press "Copy", go on working on that text (including
> marking parts of it for changing font size) and
> then press "Paste", possibly in another application,
> to get the text from the clipboard. I assume this
> to be what 95% of the users expect to happen.

Try C-x C-c C-v in an entry sometime. GTK+ supports the X CLIPBOARD
selection; there isn't much documentation on implementing it for your
own applications around, but if you look at the selections part of the
tutorial, and then look at the description of CLIPBOARD in the ICCCM
(from memory:

 ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/R6.4/xc/docs/hardcopy/ICCCM/icccm.PS.gz
)

you shouldn't have much trouble figuring it out - looking at the code
in gtk/gtkeditable.c may also be useful.

Regards,
                                        Owen