RE: [gtk-list] [vh]box size allocation question (again).

> Hi All,
>
> A week ago or so, I posted this question, which, if I remember correctly,
> hasn't been answered yet. I still wonder:
>
> It seems that, in 1.0.2 at least, the size allocation of a vbox
> (and presumably
> an hbox as well) tries to divide the size it's given equally over all its
> children (rounding down), and gives the remainder to the last
> one. This means
> that the last child can be significantly larger (number of
> children minus one
> pixels) than the other ones. See for example
> http://www.nada.kth.se/~johannes/vbox.gif for an example. This,
> IMHO, looks
> fairly ugly. Mind you, I'm not sure if any other solution would look any
> better. I'm just wondering: Is this a conscious design choice? Wouldn't
> 'dithering' the sizes (i.e. do the computations in floating
> point, then round
> down) look better? Then the size difference is at most one pixel...

I think the table layout code works a bit better, so that there's at
most 1 pixel difference, though I think it gives the extra pixels to
the right/bottom cols/rows rather than spreading them out (but I'm
not sure). Maybe the boxes should do a similar thing.

I think your interface would look better in a table anyway.

Damon