Gtk_Text: inserting non-text items

Is there any way to insert an image, button, etc. into a Gtk_Text item
(for gtk or gtk--)?  I am trying to make an editor that recognizes certain
codes imbedded in text files and then displays images within the text in
place of the code (sort of like an HTML browser).  That was probably
confusing so I'll give you an example:

[text file]
 TODO LIST:
 <tag-formatbox
      Buy some apples.
      Take Muffy to the vet.
      Code.

[display]
 TODO LIST
 --------------------------
 | Buy some apples.       |
 | Take Muffy to the vet. |
 | Code.                  |
 --------------------------

So it just displays the text in a neat little formatted box. I'm also
trying to figure out how to make it work with buttons (or hot links):

[text file]
 <tag-link "TODO LIST" "Buy some... Take muffy.. code..">
[display]
 _TODO LIST_

And when you click _TODO LIST_ a window pops up displaying the text. Sorry
for the semi-obvious examples.  I guess I could have just said I am
looking for an HTML-like widget, but I would prefer just a beafed-up text
widget that you can have more control over, not a huge widget like xmhtml.

Thanks.

---
Matt Perry [guy@mikepery.linuxos.org]

Die, v.: