Re: [gtk-list] gtk on other systems

"Derek B. Noonburg" <derekn@aimnet.com> writes:
> I'm looking for a new X toolkit for xpdf.  I currently use my own
> toolkit (LTK), which was an interesting learning experience, but I
> really don't feel like maintaining Yet Another Toolkit anymore.
>
> There are several options out there, and gtk looks pretty nice.  One
> concern I have is portability.  I consider xpdf to be an X application,
> not specifically a Linux app. Xpdf runs on some platforms I'd never even
> heard of before; I've gone through a fair amount of trouble making LTK
> portable.  Has gtk been widely ported and tested?  For example, VMS and
> Digital Unix seem to be two of the most troublesome systems (for
> software developed on Linux).

Gtk seems to have quite much users. => it gets alot of patches => it works
in many places.. (didnt someone say there was win32 version too - at least
you can get it to work using x server in win*'s..)

I dont know currently any X11 platforms where it did not work. Seems to
work at least on solaris, hpux and osf1. Configure does wonders to
portability when the requirements of the code has been coded to it..

> In particular, I noticed this:
>
>     #define XLIB_ILLEGAL_ACCESS
>
> in gdk.c.  Why is it there?  Will it cause problems for non-XFree86
> systems?

Not on systems I've tried. (yes, I've not tried it on too many platforms.. )

> Also in gdk.c, it looks like ConnectionNumber() is used in a core loop.
> I know that this breaks under VMS.  Has anyone looked into the
> alternatives?
>
> It looks like my next best alternative is Lesstif/Motif.  I'd prefer to
> go with gtk, but I know that Motif has been ported to all of these
> systems.

if you find any problems with portability, I'm sure gtk folks will help
with porting and include any patches needed to the distribution..

--
-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --