Re: BUG: gtk+-1.0.3 configure fails

Ralf Hildebrandt <R.Hildebrandt@tu-bs.de> writes:

> System: HP-UX 9.03 gcc-2.7.2.3
>
> Error: configure doesn't find libX11.*
>
> Of course configure can't find libX11 ! The previously computed
> value -L/usr/lib/X11R% is not being used. STUPID !

Yes it is STUPID! However, I'm not sure what in particular
is STUPID.

> It's also in the CFLAGS, but those aren't used either.
> Neither are the the LDFLAGS...

This compile command was generated by:

 eval $ac_link

And ac_link expands to:

ac_link='${CC-cc} -o conftest $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS $LDFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext $LIBS 1>&5'

And LDFLAGS was set several lines before to:

  LDFLAGS="$X_LDFLAGS $X_LIBS"

And X_LIBS is on my system:

  -L/usr/X11R6/lib

Which seems to indicate that for some reason, the standard AM_PATH_X
macro is not locating your X libraries correctly, though it is
locating your include files. Perhaps you can use the above information
to figure out more exactly what is going wrong.

I'm sorry that 1.0.3 broke this for you. Note that the problem
is nothing new - it was presumably printing out:

  checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11 ... no

before, then continuing on and ignoring it. Which, though it
apparently worked on your system, was not in general a good thing.

Regards,
                                        Owen