RE: [gtk-list] Re: GtkFontSelection

>  - (A problem that is shared with the GIMP and GNOME filesels)
>    The interface should avoid scaling bitmap fonts unless
>    the user selects a "scale bitmap fonts" checkbox. Scaled
>    bitmap fonts are pretty much never desirable.

I've been trying to figure out how to do this. The problem is
that X usually comes with two sets of fonts - 75dpi & 100 dpi.
Yet what if the actual resolution of the user's screen is not
one of these? (though my system incorrectly reports the size of
the screen and lo and behold the resolution is exactly 75dpi! -do
all X servers do that - I doubt it - they shouldn't really.)

For sizes specified in pixels there's no problem - you can use
any of the available pixel sizes from 75dpi or 100dpi fonts.

But for point sizes there is a problem. Do we calculate the
screen resolution and if it's not exactly 75dpi or 100dpi you don't
see any fonts? Or do we scale the actual font's point size
according to the screen resolution (e.g. a 120 decipoint font with
a reported resolution of 75 dpi would be shown as a 60 decipoint font
if the screen resolution was actually 150dpi)? But then the
resulting fontname won't be portable to other machines which have
a different resolution.

Or, as an easier alternative, should I only allow the user to
specify pixel sizes for bitmap fonts? (if the scaling option is
turned off). Does anyone have a problem with that? This is my
preferred option at present.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm no X font expert!

Damon