General purpose OS and memory protection

I don't write perfect code, neither does anybody I know.  Mistakes
happen, and I'd rather catch my NULL pointers and doubly freed memory
as soon as possible.  Memory protection may not prevent me from
scribbling all over my own program, but it sure will protect other
programs and the kernel itself from my mistakes.  No way would I trust
anyone else's software to be perfect and not scribble outside itself.

An OS without memory protection is ok when you have complete control
over all the software.  I've worked with them and written them, and
they are not fun.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
  PGP = 91 B3 94 7C E9 E8 76 2D   E1 63 51 AA A0 48 89 2F  ITAR license #4933