Re: [gtk-list] Re: Proposed widget

> If so, then your linux has a huge bug.  Shared libraries, like
> executables, should page in from their resident locations on disk,
> avoiding the swap area altogether.  Staging through swap in unix went
> out of fashion prior to the introduction of shared libraries.

You're right -- I stand corrected.

> With 5M shared libraries, though, I doubt we'd see much win from
> optimizing page locations.  When we get up to 80M, then we should
> think about it.

OK.  That, having been said, makes me wonder, "What is a good cut-off size
for GTK, before considering using external modules?"

If you do include stuff into GTK, there should be some research on how
useful the widget will be.  GTK currently has rulers, which are godsend
for document-based programs.  GTK has support for buttons, lists, trees,
etc.  That I can also live with, as they have a high frequency of use in
common software.  Font selector was long overdue.  :-)  But all possible
widgets?

> It's also possible to split the library into pieces.  This might help
> somewhat, though with a piddly 10M library, I doubt it's worth the
> effort.

I'd hate to be the person on the other end of a 33.6kbps connection
downloading GTK+-5.0, with its 10MB binary.  Imagine the size of the
source code?  8-D  OUCH!

> Actually, no.  5M is not all that much these days.  When you work with
> 500M binaries, you're getting up there.  (and yes, I'm serious).

You are sick and evil if you make a program that's 500MB in size... :D

> Disk is cheap.  Linux pages well.  What's your concern?

Bloat-ware.

> We'd need to bench to be sure, but for small apps, I'd bet that the
> overhead of loading numerous pieces of shared libraries combined with
> the page rounding overhead would likely overshadow any possible wins.

Perhaps.  Is it possible to use external shared libs with GTK now (instead
of static linking)?  I'd imagine so, since shared libraries often look
like static libraries to all parties involved.

      KC5TJA/6     |                  -| TEAM DOLPHIN |-
        DM13       |                  Samuel A. Falvo II
    QRP-L #1447    |          http://www.dolphin.openprojects.net