Re: [gtk-list] gtk_tooltips_set_tips

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Al Wold wrote:

> I am just learning GTK, and am having trouble getting tooltips to work.
> In the tutorial, it mentions a function called gtk_tooltips_set_tips,
> which takes a GtkWidget, a GtkTooltips and a char pointer as arguments,
> and assigns the tooltips to the widget.  When trying to use this, I get an
> implicit declaration error and undefined reference when linking.  I have
> looking in the gtktooltips.h header and it has a gtk_tooltips_set_tip
> function, which also takes an extra char pointer which is tip_private.  I
> have tried calling this function using random text strings, which caused
> segmentation faults.  I am using GTK 1.0.2...anyone know what might be
> wrong?

you can use gtk_tooltips_set_tip() just like the old gtk_tooltips_set_tips()
by specifiying NULL for `tip_private'.
if you get segfaults with invokation of this function, you probably have
specified invalid GtkWidget* or GtkTooltips* pointers.
something like this should work

GtkTooltips *tips;
GtkButton *close_button;

close_button = gtk_button_new_with_label ("Close");

tips = gtk_tooltips_new ();
gtk_tooltips_set_tip (tips, close_button,
                      "Use this button to close the window",
                      NULL);

[Trog: can you care for updating the tutorial/faq in respect to
       gtk_tooltips_set_tip(), please?]

---
ciaoTJ