[vh]box size allocation question.

Hi All,

It seems that, in 1.0.2 at least, the size allocation of a vbox (and presumably
an hbox as well) tries to divide the size it's given equally over all its
children (rounding down), and gives the remainder to the last one. This means
that the last child can be significantly larger (number of children minus one
pixels) than the other ones. See for example http://www.nada.kth.se/~johannes/vb
ox.gif for an example. This, IMHO, looks fairly ugly. Mind you, I'm not sure if
any other solution would look any better. I'm just wondering: Is this a
conscious design choice? Wouldn't 'dithering' the sizes (i.e. do the
computations in floating point, then round down) look better? Then the size
difference is at most one pixel...

Regards,

Johannes.
--
"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's
 unfamiliar territory." - Yoav Zingher

Visually inspecting visual programming languages.