Re: gtk compile problems

johnjohn@triceratops.com writes:

> Actually, I guess I might have tracked this down to a configure
> problem...
>
> During the process of running configure, I see this:
>
> checking for X... (cached) no

Note the (cached) here. A misfeature of ./configure is that it
saves the result of previous configuration runs, so once things
go wrong once, they will never go right until you remove
the file 'config.cache'.

(IMO, caching should not be done except when specifically enabled -
since it only helps people who frequently reconfigure.)

> checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... (cached) no
> checking for XShmAttach in -lXext... (cached) no
> checking for XShmAttach in -lXextSam... (cached) no
> checking for XShapeCombineMask in -lXext... (cached) no
>
> Now I'm guessing that this is what's leading to the following problem
> during compile:
>
> gcc -g -O2 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -Wall -DUSE_XIM -o .libs/testgtk testgtk.o -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib .libs/libgtk.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib ../gdk/.libs/libgdk.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib ../glib/.libs/libglib.so -lm
> ../gdk/.libs/libgdk.so: undefined reference to `XFreePixmap'
> ../gdk/.libs/libgdk.so: undefined reference to `XSetWMProtocols'
> ../gdk/.libs/libgdk.so: undefined reference to `XSetWMIconName'

The relevant thing is not this problem, but what happened during
GTK's configure so that it didn't find your X libraries.

(I really need to change configure so that it aborts under these
 circumstances).

The place to look for error messages is the file 'config.log' which is
generated when you run configure. (Not the output of the ./configure
program which is just a summary)

Regards,
                                        Owen