Re: Patch?

Daniel.Egger@t-online.de (Daniel Egger) writes:

> On Tue, 12 May 1998, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> >I just took a look at your patch. All it seems to do to me is
> >completely omit drawing the upper-right and lower-left corners of the
> >shadow. That is, what is currently drawn as:
>
>  I'm sorry that I can't draw a picture of my thoughts becuase I have no
>  fixedfont mailer display. But let me state that I don't draw with another
>  color but just corrected the current design. The lines weren't or better
>  are still drawn to far for example in the down left corner. Have a look
>  at it with xmag and it will show it to you. Most people won't see such
>  mistakes but IMHO it influences the inner feel of somebody...
>  The rewritten function makes so nice frames that I wouldn't like to miss them
>  anymore....

There are two separate issues here. The first is what pixels
are drawn. To be honest, even at 640x480 on a 17" screen I
can barely tell the difference.

My impression is that the original gives a slightly "sharper"
look at the corners, while your look is slightly rounded.

If anyone is interested in comparing, you can look at:

 http://www.gtk.org/~otaylor/grooves.gif

One frame is a (simulated) version of the result of Daniel's patch,
the other frame is the original.

(Remember, when looking at this with xmag, what is being drawn here is
not two overlapping rectangles - it is a groove. And since the groove
can't be accurately represented at this resolution, what is correct is
a matter of what looks better. "The inner feel")

I don't have much of a preference between them myself.

The second is issue how they are drawn:

Various places in the GTK+ code assume that the draw_shadow
code will draw an entire rectangle, not a rectangle missing
two pixels. So if you want those to be in a neutral color,
they should be explicitly be drawn with:

  widget->style->mid_gc[widget->state]

Regards,
                                        Owen