Re: [gtk-list] How safe is GTK?

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Matt Kimball wrote:

> By the default 'make install' for mtr installs the binary as suid-root
> so that ordinary users can run it.  Now, as mtr gets closer to 1.0, I
> am starting to think seriously about the security issues.  Currently I
> am linking to libgtk and GTK+ code is being executed with root
> permissions, even when a user starts the program.
>
> Is this a Bad Idea(tm)?  Or is it only a "Well, if you absolutely have
> to do it, it might be OK.  But be nervous."?

There was a thread on gnome-list where Owen and Alan Cox both said this
was indeed a Bad Idea.

The solution is to use the program as root or use it via su. Or fix gsu in
the Gnome CVS tree, if you want all-GUI operation. The gnome-list thread
concluded that the simple gsu fix is to hack traditional su so that it
reads a password off stdin, then make a Gtk wrapper for the hacked su; the
hard gsu fix is something involving PAM that the Red Hat Labs people can
probably tell you about. The stdin fix is trivial but I haven't done it
since it would ideally involve correspondence with the upstream su
maintainer to get the changes merged, and people asked for PAM anyway; I
have no idea what the PAM fix would involve so I haven't done that either.
A volunteer is needed who understands all the issues.

Havoc Pennington ==== http://pobox.com/~hp