Simple(?) pixmap problem

Hi all, I've just started working with GTK and am still playing with
things to get the feel of how it works.  My latest little test program is
giving me headaches though and I'm wondering if I'm doing things
correctly. Instead of describing what I've tried and making an
unecessarily long post, perhaps I can describe what I want and someone
could chime in with the best way of doing it?

Here's the deal:  I've got a small window, just large enough to hold a
47x47 pixmap (we'll call this pixmap1).  When I click on the pixmap, I
want it to change to pixmap2...another click, back to pixmap1...just
toggling between the two.  Setting up the window and displaying pixmap1
works fine, it's the toggling that's not working.  The callback's getting
called fine, it seems to be the process of removing pixmap1 and adding
pixmap2 (and vice versa) that's failing. What are the steps I should take
to change from one pixmap to the other?

Thanks so much to anyone that takes the time to look into this.  My code
is available on request if you want to see what I've done so far. :)

---
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear
 to man as it is, infinite."  -- William Blake

Todd Pafford   galen@erols.com