Re: [gtk-list] Re: Windows NT port of GTK+

On Fri, May 01, 1998 at 12:34:04PM -0400, Christopher James Lahey wrote:
> My question, I suppose, is what is mingw32?  I'm not familiar with it.

gcc and the associated GNU tools compiling to Win32 binaries.  It is
basically the Cygnus Win32 tools, but without the Unix-like layer, so
you can produce native Win32 binaries which without CYGWIN.DLL or any
of the other Cygnus tools.

See http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/index.html

The main advantages of it over, say, Visual C++ are freedom and that
you are using gcc, so it might be slightly easier to port code if
there are any gccisms in the code.  The main disadvantages are the
lack of any IDE w/debugger and the fact that some libraries are more
difficult to use.  (The standard Win32 API works fine, but if you want
to use MFC or DirectX, say, you might have to do some hacking to get
it to work properly).

--
Matt Kimball
mkimball@xmission.com