gdk_pixmap_destroy

i just started programming with gtk a couple weeks ago. i made some
stuff on my own and compiled some of the examples. i got
scribble-simple.c from the tutorial and compiled it with no problems
last week. in fact i compiled it several times. yesterday, i tried to
use the function gdk_pixmap_destroy in one of my own programs, but it
wouldn't compile. gcc kept complaining about the gdk_destroy_pixmap
function not being defined. so i looked at the scribble-simple.c example
and saw that my code was the same, so i recompiled the scribble-simple.c
source and found that i now get the same error as with my own program. i
also tried using gtk_pixmap_unref (?) function and that produces the
same error.

i reinstalled with gtk+-0.99.9 but it still has the same problem.

i haven't changed anything with my box since the last time i got this to
compile so i don't think that i did anything bad.

so, anyone know what's up with this?

btw: i am running a pentium linux box with libc5 and kernel 2.0.32( i
think).

thanks