gtk_statusbar_new

hello,

i am trying to hack together a gtk ftp client.. and i am having some trouble
with gtk, since it is my first time really using it. i have a few questions
that i'd be most greatful for answers :

-1- for the progress bar widget, shouldn't it update itself as soon as you
set the percentage that it is at? why does it wait and put itself in a draw
qeue (i think this is what it is doing)

-2- is the tutorial outdated or am i doing something wrong? i can't seem to
get anywhere with gtk_statusbar_new.. has the function name changed or are
statusbars implemented in a different way?

-3- what are the pros/cons/differences between list and clist. which one
would be better for a scrollable list of files with date,time,size. more
importantly, which one would be better if i need to implement multiple file
selecting (multiple list item tagging)

-4- someone said that are going to be no more architectural changes to gtk
for 1.0 (he said that there have been no signficant changes since .99.4). is
this true?

-5- is there any reason why the panes widget implementation is the way it is?
why can you only change the pane area with that one little square? is it
only because we are trying to implement the ugliest widget set in history
(MOTIF). I think it is a better idea if you can drag panes anywhere along the
borders. this is the way it is done in Windows and Amiga. It makes better
sense. If this has already been brought up, apologies for repetition ; if
not, consider it a proposal. I can see no reason why it should not be this
way.

-6- Speaking of interfaces, I would highly suggest using the IRIX (?) style
scrollbars (with both up and down buttons on the bottom).. this really is a
timesaver once you get used to it. Would this be taken care of through the
planed themes api or should this be discussed atm?

tia for any responses. i appreciate it.

-raj