[gtk-list] Re: Wish before 1.0 - clist

> > Why should it be done?
> > the scrollbars handling + viewport bloat the clist code.
> > scrolled window is useless if people bypass it to include it in
> > their own widget.
> > This is a bad example for gtk 1.0 users.
> > This makes the clist widget design inconsistent with the other widgets
> > of gtk.
>
> If you want consistency, you have GtkList. Unfortunately, the price
> of consistency is size limitations and slow performance.

This is the reason GtkList will never be used.

> The CList widget could certainly be more general. I think of it
> as a special case of an imaginary "Grid widget". But we have several
> options (other than delaying the release of 1.0 for another 3 months
> ;-) to provide upgrade paths to people using the form found in 1.0:
>
>  - We can reimplement the CList interface using whatever more general
>    widget it is replaced with.

My point is not to to this (it can wait till v1.1).

My point is to delete the scrollbar/viewport stuff of the clist
widget, and use it like a "normal" gtk widget:

Add a clist widget in a scrolledwindow (with GtkContainerAdd()).

This is what I mean by "consistent".

This should not change the speed of the clist (or very slightly),
this will cleans up its code, and more important it will be much
more cleaner in the user PoV (consistent widget set).

>  - We can leave the CList there and encourage people to migrate
>    their code.

Dream on :)

> <...>

> The release of GTK is not being made because it is now perfect and
> will never be changed, but because the GIMP is ready to be
> released. (And because people want to make major changes
> (themeability) to GTK, so we need to get something out while things
> still work)

> I hope this explains the situation a bit more,

I do know the situation but I wanted to point out this "design problem"
before 1.0 (as it seems I won't be able to provide a fix before the
release).

Patrice.