Re: [gtk-list] Re: Library dependencies in gtk+

On Sat, 07 Mar, 1998 at 05:12:26PM -0500, Owen Taylor set free these words:

> Toshio Kuratomi <badger@prtr-13.ucsc.edu> writes:
>
> > [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> > Hi.
> >     Any reasons for not adding interlibrary dependencies between the
> > gtk libraries?  (So when we link gtk into a program, we know to link
> > glib and gdk as well.)  I know the libtool documentation says you can't link
> > to uninstalled libs, but it's wrong on this account.  What you can't do is
> > link to a relative path... I put
> >
> >     -L`pwd`/../glib/.libs -lglib
> >
> > into the libgdk_la_LDFLAGS variable in gdk/Makefile.am and it worked fine.
> > (Same sort of thing with gtk/Makefile.am)
> >
> > Will that work for everyone?
>
> No. This sort of thing does not work on most non-ELF platforms.
>
> In fact, even the current linking against installed libraries can
> produce bad results if the installed libraries happen to be
> static. Versions of libtool after 1.0f disable such linking
> entirely. (We've avoided upgrading for this reason, but there is a
> good case to be made that we _should_ upgrade - it is better to make
> people add a few libraries to there command line, than to have GTK
> refuse to build on some platforms)

Ah, but libtool is supposed to decide internally whether it is safe to link
libraries in on the system it is invoked on.  So the dependencies should be
in the Makefile.am -- They just won't be used on all platforms.

Does 1.0f not work this way?  I'm working on patching library dependencies
into libtool and I'm pretty sure they will provide functionality in this
manner.  (Should appear in 1.1 or 1.2 release, after Gordon looks over my
patches and tests/incorporates them.)

Would that then be acceptable?

-Toshio
--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."

PGP signature