Common DND types?

Hi, I'm thinking about adding drag and drop support to a program I'm working
on, and was wondering if there are any common MIME-style types for gtk programs,
so that my app could communicate effectively with yet unwritten programs...
For example, if someone writes a desktop app, shouldn't there be a common set
of acceptable drag types and drop types so that they could drag an object of
type "file/text" (just an example) from the desktop to say, a filemanager
or text editor, and the filemanager or text editor would recognise that as an
acceptable drop type? Would you just use the standard MIME types and, if so
(hate to ask a stupid question,) where can I get a list of them? Hope I made
that clear, started confusing myself when I wrote it :-) ... Thanks!

--
Evan Lawrence