Re: [gtk-list] GTK themeing code...........

On  5 Mar, Chris Black shouted:
->  > Okay.. finally I'm happy with my API for buttons and themeing - and
->  > have finally hunted down and destroyed some bugs - I woudl liek to put
->  > up my gtk tree on cvs now - but as a separate tree - not inside the gtk
->  > tree, so people can download it, make comments, see what the api is -
->  > critique, make changes etc. befor ei continue onto my next victim (the
->  > next widget.. whichever that one is)
->  Cool, I read thru your preliminary theming button demo, looks neat :)
->  Keeping seperate is a good idea...
->
->  > does anoyone have any bojections if i commit a new gtk+ tree
->  > (gtk+themes) ?
->  I don't know much about theming, but I played with gdk_imlib a bit.
->  Is there any reason theming couldn't be kept seperate from gtk/gdk

it is.

->  so it wouldn't have to be loaded if it weren't being used?
->  Or maybe you could make your themable gtk a drop-in shared lib replacement,
->  somewhat like libXaw3d or Xaw-xpm and stuff like that.

themeing is completely a shared lib - the drawing code is all a share
dlibrary hand-opened by gtk via dlopen. the idea is to avoid "gtk-xpm"
"gtk-3d" etc. - gtk itself internally remains as is - all drawing code
is loaded in an extra .so - if you run the default theme (ie gtk looks
exactly like it does now) it loads the default theme .so that contains
all the drawing code that it surrently inside gtk - that way you have
no extra themeing code floatign around apart forma  little extra code
to do the dlopen and resolve symbols.

->  Or there could be an option when building to enable/disable themability.
->  I am just bringing this up because I would like to see the less necessary
->  options seperated from the basic widget functionality. It would be annoying
->  to know that every gtk app implementation had to go thru functions
->  implementing/checking for themes even if the user wasn't using themes.

it simply calls the draw callback form the theme - if it's the default
the callback pretty much does what gtk currently does - if it's a
"fancy theme" then it calls the draw callback form the fancy theme -
its lean and tidy.

->  I just don't want to see gtk get unnecessarily bloated and have to run
->  thru "nifty features" functions even when using the default functionality.
->  The ability to have the gtk shared libs with or without themability might
->  be a good way to go, that way people who want all that fanciness can use it,
->  and those with slower machines can disable it.
->  Altho an add-on library like the way gdk_imlib is implemented would be
->  even better.

wait till I put it up on CVS - then comment :)

->  Just some thoughts,
->  Chris

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------