Re: [gtk-list] PROPOSAL : Progress bar

Stefan Jeske <stefan@gtk.org> writes:
> in making the progress bar more flexible, and would like
> to hear some of your comments.

First of all it is a very good idea to invest some time there and you
should be praised for taking that time... ;-)

> This is what I did so far :
> 1. Added orientation :
>    typedef enum
>    {
>      GTK_PROGRESS_LEFT_TO_RIGHT,
>      GTK_PROGRESS_BOTTOM_TO_TOP,
>      GTK_PROGRESS_RIGHT_TO_LEFT,
>      GTK_PROGRESS_TOP_TO_BOTTOM
>    } GtkProgressBarOrientation;

I like this one.

> 2. Added a bar style :
>    typedef enum
>    {
>      GTK_PROGRESS_CONTINUOUS,
>      GTK_PROGRESS_DISCRETE
>    } GtkProgressBarStyle;
> GTK_PROGRESS_CONTINUOUS is the current standard behaviour, while
> GTK_PROGRESS_DISCRETE only has a (configurable) number of different
> states (drawn as 3D-blocks) like :
> |### ### ###                               |
> |### ### ###                               |
> |### ### ###                               |

Nice.

> I also tried something like GTK_PROGRESS_TUBE, but that really didn't
> look very GTK-ish. ;) But a nice 3D-tube (like in Warp4) would be
> very nice. (Don't know much about gradients, though. ;)

Great idea.

> 3. Added optional display of text (using a format string which can be
> supplied by the user; the default is "%.0f %%"). In DISCRETE mode,
> text is not displayed (ugly and quite unreadable).

Where is that text displayed ? In the bar ? Good idea !

> 4. A new signal "progress_changed", so e.g. the user can update his
> own label with the current percentage.

very nice.

> We also might introduce a generic GtkProgress widget, with GtkProgressBar
> and other possible progress indicators derived from it (e.g. GtkProgressPie,
> GtkProgressSandGlass ?)

I'd like those ones, too... looks like you don't really need much more
inspiration ... :-) One thing I could think of is those little marks
(like the ones XVIEW uses directly under the progress bar (with
labelling ?)) because that looked kinda cool and has a good feeling
about it, IMHO.

Later,
	Georg

P.S. Any idea when the new GTK is coming out (preferrably with those
new widgets) ? :-))))

- --
Georg C. F. Greve <greve@fusebox.hanse.de>
http://porter.desy.de/~greve/ - ICQ#10016966
"People who fight may lose. People who do not
fight have already lost." -- Bertolt Brecht