gtk_toggle_button_get_state()

Forgive me if this is a silly question. I have had a good look through the
 source and cannot find an answer.

where is gbool gtk_toggle_button_get_state() (or equivalent) ?

BTW. It appears that when I call gtk_toggle_button_set_state() I get a signal -
 this puts me into a feedback loop. I do not have the same trouble with
 gtk_entry_set_text. GTK should be consistent. When you alter a widget's state
 programmatically you should pass a flag to indicate whether you need
 notification of the change. Is there a short term solution to my problem - or
 do I have to unregister my signal handler, set state and then reattach my
 handler ?

Jules