Re: [gtk-list] Re: Interpreter requests

On 9 Jun 1998, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> Kenneth Albanowski <kjahds@kjahds.com> writes:
>
> > Are you sure enums cannot be created at run-time? I assure you that I'll
> > try, regardless of your intentions. :-) (Come to that, authors of external
> > widgets will be doing this, regardless.)
>
> Yes, that is true, and I know at least one guy who is doing this already.
>
> > I'm thinking of something like this:
> >
> >    typedef void (*GtkTypeCreationHook)(GtkType new_type);
> >
> >    gtk_type_add_creation_hook(GtkTypeCreationHook * hook);
>
> Wouldn't it be enough that you do your actions that would be triggered
> by that hook, when you first learn about the type (i.e. when you find
> it in a GtkArg structure or somewhere)?

Feasible, yes, but not simple or efficient, especially as it could occur
due to a pointer being passed back from some gtk function or variable.

If you look at the way object types are normally created (during the first
request for an object of that type), this is clearly a pretty good place
to initialize interpreter support for that object, with a low cost to
gtk+.