Displaying 2-byte chars in a GtkEntry

I asked this a while back but noone replied. It might be useful for
the GtkFontSelection widget.

   Is there a way to display characters from Chinese/Japanese/Korean etc.
   fonts in a GtkEntry?

   The XFontStruct has these fields to specify the character values. Can
   I use them somehow? And how can I tell which chars actually exist?

            unsigned min_char_or_byte2;/* first character */
            unsigned max_char_or_byte2;/* last character */
            unsigned min_byte1;      /* first row that exists */
            unsigned max_byte1;      /* last row that exists */

Damon