Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK development question

Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, John Looney wrote:
>
> >  Are there any plans to allow GTK to make use of this oh-so-useful
> > feature ? It's very very nice, where painless & efficent coding and
> > backward compatibility is considered a bonus. I'm still getting used to
> > the idea of a separate function call for each feature of a widget (and
> > don't like it that much).
>
> (Even though it is probably more efficient than going through the list
> and comparing ;-)

 Hmm. There always was a XtVaSetArgs and an XtSetArgs - the Va being
"Variable".

> gtk_widget_new() and gtk_widget_set() are what you want. It doesn't gain
> you any backwards compatibility though - you just encounter problems with
> missing args at runtime instead of compile time.

 Yes, didn't think of that. If you could set almost everything meaningful
attribute with it, it would be smashing...only I can't seem to find much
documentation on what can be set like that, and what can't....

Kate

--
 "I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star.
    We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light."

John "Kate" Looney, Horizon Open Systems. Sun Microsystems distributor and
Support centre. Hotline: [+353 1 8055700] Web http://www.hos.horizon.ie/