Problem with text widget

Hello,

I hope my question isn't too dumb - I haven't had time to go through
the list archive (and I'm very new at writing code with widgets too)

In an app I'm writing, I use a text widget to display some
messages . The code for that widget is very close to the example
for that widget, nothing unusual I think.

This works - things get bad when I try to actually display some
text in there, with the usual gtk_text_insert command.
On startup, the window 'explodes' and I get a whole bunch of:

** WARNING **: file gdkwindow.c: line 665 (gdk_window_ref): "window !=
NULL"

** WARNING **: file gtkstyle.c: line 266 (gtk_style_attach): "window !=
NULL"

** WARNING **: file gdkwindow.c: line 665 (gdk_window_ref): "window !=
NULL"

etc.. and it sigsevs.
It looks like I need to set some kind of attributes or something?
I've tried to use gtk_text_freeze/thaw , but that didn't help.

I've looked at the code of some apps like gEdit and testgtk,
but I couldn't spot the magic line(s).

Any help appreciated of course. I'm using gtk-1.0.1 .

Regards,

manu

--
"In The Beginning Was The Word. Then Came The Fucking Word Processor.
 Then Came the Thought Processor. Then came The Death Of Literature.