notebooks and hboxes

Hi.  I've been having some odd problems laying out widgets in a notebook,
and I was wondering if there was an obvious solution or workaround I'm
missing.  What I'm trying to do is have a notebook in which some of the
widgets are in rows together (e.g., a textentry and a button side-by-side),
but in which everything is pushed to the top (not spaced out vertically).  I
thought the obvious solution would be to do something analogous to what
works for windows -- i.e., set up the boxes and widgets as nonhomogeneous,
non-expanding, etc., and use an hbox for each row that contains more than
one widget.  However, these hboxes seem to want to expand no matter what.
So the notebook page with the least amount of vertical widgets ends up
widely spaced.  They don't do the same if I put them in a window without a
notebook.  I've tried a few dozen combinations of various settings without
any luck, so I figured I'd see if anyone else has figured out how to do
this.

I'm using gtk+ 1.0.5.  Thanks for any help.

dan