Application modal dialog boxes

I'd like to create application modal dialog boxes and I have a way of
doing them, but I'm not sure it's "ok" to do them this way.  Here's
how I do them:

I create the dialog window
Grab the focus
call gtk_main () - realize that the application is already running so
I've already made a call to gtk_main and haven't called gtk_main_quit
yet.

When the buttons are pressed, the signal handler will call
gtk_main_quit to get out of the dialog event loop and will close the
window.  Viola!  An application modal dialog box.

Is there a better way?

 -Eric