Re: MVC (was: Widgets Vs Gadgets, and before: map/unmap optimization)

julian.gosnell@nomura.co.uk wrote:
>MVC, is a paradigm for decoupling data models from parties interested in
> altering their values, or alterations to their values, or both, which you would
> use to e.g. avoid clumsy relationships between your data and GUI.
>In conclusion I would want both - and although my experience of Swing is limited
> it seems to be pretty well designed (I could could wrap this thread around to
> swallow its own tail here by asking why Swing now uses lightweight/windowless
> components, but I shall resist that temptation).
Why? It's a bit off topic, and definitely it's too late to discuss how
GTK should have been designed, but...
I've always wondered what reasons moved Java to abandon the AWT
approach (which gave Java apps a very welcome native interface) and take
the Swing way.
They said the AWT was a great idea but not as easy to implement as they
had thought; I know (oh how I know) it's easier to have everything done
in a single language, and it's fun to write a widget set, too.  But, to
be honest, looks to me like Swing sells better.
MVC is a very interesting concept, but has not become widely known and
possibly too few people really understand it to the point they can take
advantage.  If GTK ever gets to do things the MVC way it will be fun to
learn.
Swing components are split into Model and View/Controller parts; IIRC it
makes heavy use of Java's sort-of multiple inheritance (interfaces, that
is).  The GTK guys designed a single inheritance class mechanism in C,
but I doubt they'd like to try support multiple inheritance.  Some
people say MVC is too heavy in most cases.  I just don't know.
Do you think GTK 'should' go MVC?
-Daniel