[gtk-list] map/unmap optimization

After some months I'd at last some time to look back at the
gtk sources.
And each time I see a *_map or *_unmap function I wonder if
there is a difference between the gtk_*_(un)map and the X
(un)map calls.

A big advantage of the X (un)map calls is that they can handle
the subwindows map/unmap.
For example to unmap a container widget with other widgets inside
you just make a call to XUnmap (or whatever) and it unmaps your
container (handling the children). Want to remap it?
Just call Xmap (or whatever bis :)), and it remaps your widget
with its children mapped, if they were already mapped before
the unmap call.

In the gtk container unmap functions we _explicitly_ unmap
the children too. Why?
Is there a special reason not to use the X features and
duplicate the work?

BTW, I sent a patch to gimp.org for the dev tree (1.1?) to add
a widget->window to the *frame widgets, as these widgets
are drwing in their parent window (which can not be considered
a good thing, IMHO).

Patrice.