forking inside a GTK+ app

I'm sure this is a really dumb question. Is it possible to fork a
child process after having run gtk_main()? In XfreeCD I fork off child
processes before running gtk_main() and talk to them thru pipes, but in
my new app (mirage, a PGP clipboard encryption tool) I need to fork off
a pgp process from the main process at different times. Is this
possible?

  Or do I need to fork a child before running gtk_main, then talk to
that child and tell it to fork off the pgp grandchild? Ick!

  The other option is to use linuxthreads, but that would limit the app
to RH and debian users (and anyone who's threadsafed their other
distribution of course).

  Thanks,

  Brian

Nexus Computing
http://www.tatoosh.com/nexus
Software & Electronics for Linux
nexus@tatoosh.com
Inside is a comfortable 75.36 F and Outside is a chilly 69.73 F