Re: [gtk-list] Re: about widget sizes

At 01:13 PM 7/14/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Didimo Emilio Grimaldo Tunon <emilio_tunon@nl.compuware.com> writes:
>
>The only widgets you typically need to specify a usize widgets
>for are those that can't determine a good default size because
>their children are within a scrolled area - things like
>the Text, CList and ScrolledWindow widgets. Otherwise, GTK+
>will figure things out for itself.

Entry sets itself to one size even when you give it a maximum number
of characters, and for simple data entry screens I think Text is a
bit of overkill. Or is there some magic incantation to make Entry
widgets resize to a more useful size? As it is, you have to guess
the character size in pixels, multiply it out, allow for borders,
hope they never change the font, ...

There should be an easier way to set them up, even if is just
a function that wraps around the usize function.
Kevin Handy  kth@srv.net         Accounting Software for
Software Solutions. Inc.         VAX/VMS Computer Systems
Idaho Falls, Idaho